Friday, October 12, 2012

I'm Intrigued by BYOD

My daughter entered high school this year and with that came our first experience with BYOD.  (Bring Your Own Device ~ since my husband needs the acronym defined better.)  It has been interesting to hear her talk about taking her iPod to school to do what she needs to do.  I am intrigued by the BYOD movement and understand the need for schools to explore this.  Cost inhibiting factors make it be that schools can't fund the constant replacement of machines or fund 1:1 initiatives.  Buying a bank of devices to have on hand for students who do not have their own devices, but allowing student who have devices to bring them makes sense in this age of education.  

I think about how I function with my iPhone.  Basically, can't live without it.  I am constantly looking up "things" when I am in "need to know" mode.  Kids in school should be no different and in having that instant access, they are owning their own learning and taking charge of what they are learning.  How awesome is that?  Isn't that what we want? Independent learners?

Here is an interesting article I found on BYOD and the things to think about if you want to launch a successful BYOD program.

No comments:

Post a Comment